I was really hoping by the time this ingredient spotlight theme came we’d have garden green beans! But, between the deer and rabbits this year, our green beans have seen better days. We have a few on the plants, and are hoping more will be ready by the weekend.
Green beans are a legume, and offer numerous goodies as a part of this green treat:
- They can be eaten fresh (one of the few beans that can)
- A great source of carotenoids (hidden beneath all that chlorophyll)
- High levels of antioxidants
- Great source of the vitamin K
- Perhaps the best source of soluble silicon
- A good source of protein and fiber
Our favorite way to eat them has to be the simple herbed approach:
But, we also love green beans in:
Did you know, you can freeze your fresh green beans really easily? We do that a lot too.
What are your favorite ways to enjoy green beans? Or, wax beans, or even purple ones?!