Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Gingerbread Baked Oatmeal

What could be more perfect for this time of year but a warm bowl of gingerbread baked oatmeal? 

This stuff is fantastic, and festive all at the same time. 

DSCN6323

While it’s baking, you’ll think you’re making a batch of molasses crinkles.  Take one bite, and you’ll think that you’re eating one. 

Gingerbread Baked Oatmeal – Finding Joy in My Kitchen

Ingredients

  • 3 C Old Fashioned Oats
  • 1/4 C Molasses {be a little generous here}
  • 1/4 C dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. ginger
  • 1 heaping tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. cloves
  • pinch of nutmeg
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 C milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 C applesauce
  • splash of vanilla

Directions

In a large bowl, mix together 3 C old fashioned oats, 1/4 C brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. ginger, 1 heaping tsp. cinnamon (more or less, as desired), 1/4 tsp. cloves, a pinch of nutmeg, 2 tsp. baking powder, and 1 tsp. salt.  Stir. 

Add to this bowl 1 C milk, 1 egg, 1/2 C unsweetened applesauce, 1/4 C molasses and a splash of vanilla.

Place in a 8x8 baking dish and either bake immediately, or cover and refrigerate overnight. 

Bake, uncovered at 350 for 35-40 minutes until the center is set. 

Serve with applesauce, milk, or enjoy plain.  Toss in a handful of dried cranberries for a real treat. 

Enjoy!

Linked to: Tasty Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday 2

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this recipe! I stumbled across this recipe the same day I was planning to make baked oatmeal. Fortunately I had what I needed to make this recipe so I did. It turned out wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is "Turtle Taylor's" new favorite way to have her oatmeal .... Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I substitute steel cut oats?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tried it using Steel Cut oats, but you might be able to do so. You might need to increase the milk/liquids to compensate, but having not made it myself, I can't guarantee it would work. If you do try it, please let me know how it works.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...