Sunday, June 3, 2012

Finding Joy … on Facebook?!

I have a like-dislike relationship with Facebook.  I like it because of how I get to interact with all of you on my Facebook Page – it’s such a treat for me! 

Finding Joy in My Kitchen Facebook Page

However, what I struggle with is the constant changes to the algorithms behind Facebook that directly influence what you see or don’t see on Facebook

I know that when I “like” a page, I do so because I want to see their stuff!  But, recently, I’ve found out this is not the case.  “Liking” a page is no guarantee that I’ll see each post in my feed. 

See, Facebook algorithms will show you more posts from the pages and/or people that you interact with the most.  And, you tend to interact with those pages/people that show up in your news feed & so the cycle continues. 

To make sure I see the posts from people and pages I care about, I’ve done two things:

1) Like the page & check “show in news feed”

image

2) Create Lists.  And, add your people/pages to your lists.

Lists are super easy to create & allow me, to categorize the people & pages that I like so I can see all the posts from a list in one click. 

To create a list, go to the left-hand sidebar of your main facebook.com page after login.  Scroll down until you find the section titled “Interests.”  There you will see a place for you to “Add interests.” 

When you click on “Add Interests”, you will see a page that asks for your input to create an interest.  You’ll see that Facebook suggests many interests for you, but also allows you to create your own.

image

Click on “Create List” and then you’ll get a pop-up window:

image

You’ll see that you can choose from “Pages or Friends” on the left side-bar, or any pages that are categorized in the categories below.  You can also search for people or pages in the top right hand corner search bar. 

Simply select the pages you want to include and then click “next” in the bottom right corner.  Then, you’ll see this:

image

Here’s your chance to (a) see who is on your list (right hand side of the screen), (b) name your list, and (c) choose who can view your interest list.  Choose “done” when you are completed. 

Then you can return to your left-hand side bar to view the list – mine is one for Recipe Bloggers. 

image

Clicking on that list gives me access to all the recipe blogger FB posts in one place! 

Yes, it takes a little bit of time, but I’ve found it worth it. 

So, what can you do to make sure you keep seeing Finding Joy in My Kitchen on Facebook?

1) Like Finding Joy in My Kitchen on Facebook & interact with me there regularly.
2) When you "Like” Finding Joy in My Kitchen, choose “Show in News Feed.”
3) Create a list of your favorite blogs/topics, and add Finding Joy in My Kitchen.

Of course – be sure to do this for all the great blogs and pages you love and enjoy keeping up with!  This has been a tremendous help for me, and I hope it is helpful for you too!  What tips/tricks have you found for navigating the changing FB waters?

1 comment:

  1. Wow this is very helpful! I too struggle with Facebook changes, however I have to remind myself...this is a free service! And I am grateful to have it! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...