Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Ham and Linguine Bake

Last week, when I linked up my menu plan on to Laura’s Menu Plan Monday, I made a quick change of plans to my dinner!  She had a yummy looking recipe for a cheesy fettuccini recipe using ham and peas.  While I didn’t have fettuccini, I did have all the other ingredients, plus a few others, so I decided to give it a whirl. 

As we typically do, we make our roux sauce without butter!  Gasp.  I know.  But, I can’t tell a difference.  Mixing the flour and the milk together and then slowly adding it to the pan is the way to go – and it allows you to eliminate extra fat from your dish.  That way, I can really enjoy my cheese! 

The result was a creamy, tasty and veggie-filled winner of a dinner. 

Ham and Linguine Bake – Adapted from Taste of Home

Ingredients

  • Half a box of linguini noodles, uncooked
  • 2 C cubed, cooked ham
  • 1 C frozen peas
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 T white whole wheat flour
  • 2 C milk
  • 6 oz. Extra Sharp White Cheddar Cheese, shredded
  • 1/8 C dry bread crumbs
  • 1/4 tsp. parsley
  • 1/4 tsp. minced garlic, dried

Directions

Begin by cooking the pasta according to package directions. 

Meanwhile, saute the mushrooms and bell pepper in a large skillet with a teaspoon of olive oil, if necessary. 

When all the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated, then add in the cooked ham and garlic.  Season with pepper, if desired. 

While the ham and veggies cook, combine 2 T flour with 1 C milk.  Whisk until well blended.  Then, add in the second 1 C milk. 

Carefully, and slowly, pour the milk mixture into the skillet with the veggies.  Stir constantly as you add about 1/4-1/2 C milk at a time. 

Stir the remaining milk mixture in, then reduce the heat to a slow simmer and add in 1 C frozen peas.  Heat for 2-3 minutes.

Drain the pasta when it is cooked, and add the cooked pasta.

Remove the dish from the heat, and add in the cheddar cheese.  Stir and allow the heat from the ingredients to melt the cheese. 

Pour the ingredients into a 9x13 glass baking dish.  Top with bread crumbs and parsley. 

Bake the dish at 350 for 20 minutes, covered, and then for an additional 5-10 minutes uncovered until dish is bubbly. 

Serve warm. 

Linked to: Tasty Tuesday

4 comments:

  1. Good Morning Sweetie...
    Oh my gosh, does this ever look yummy. Guess what the Smiths are having for dinner tonight. I am making out my list in my head as I type this message.

    We aren't real big fans of ham, so I will substitute chicken for the ham, but oh does this ever look yummy.

    Thanks for sharing dear one. Have a glorious day. Country hugs and much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have you your blog on my side bar and every time I go by I see this fabulous casserole, I can't wait to make it. Thanks for sharing!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. So drooling over here! You know I love a good cheesy casserole :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I combined your recipe, due to it's delicious appearance, with one which called for penne or such, tomatoes(I cut up about four oz. of grape tomatoes), feta and gruyere with thyme....and it was a success! THis is so versatile! Thank you for the great inspiration to help me use up all the ham leftovers everyone has grown tired of!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...