Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Zucchini Burgers

This week, I’m talking zucchini.  Over on Facebook, I’m sharing our favorite tried and true zucchini recipes – and this recipe, for Zucchini Burgers, certainly makes that list. 



Zucchini burgers are a family favorite in our house and have been for as long as I can remember.  I crave them in the summer time – especially when our garden tomatoes and lettuce are ready!  Yum. 



This recipe is so old it calls for “salad oil”.  I had no idea what they even meant by salad oil – so I Googled it.  Actually, I asked my mom, who wisely informed me it was the standard way of saying a vegetable oil.  Good to know.
 


Salad oil or vegetable oil lingo set aside, this is one summer recipe you’ll want to try! 

Zucchini Burgers – Mom’s Recipe Box

Ingredients

  • 1 can (5-7oz) chicken (or tuna, or salmon)
  • 1 medium zucchini, shredded
  • 1 1/2 C whole wheat bread cubes
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tsp. minced onion
  • 1 tsp. lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • Whole wheat buns
  • Cheese, if desired
  • Mayo, lettuce, tomato, if desired
Directions

In a large bowl, add the 1 1/2 C bread cubes {this is about 2 slices of bread}. This is a great way to use up slightly stale bread… although you can use fresh bread too.  



Then, shred the medium-sized zucchini – be sure to drain the excess water from the zucchini.  Squish the shredded zucchini quite well and you’ll be surprised how much water it releases. 

Add the zucchini to the bowl with the bread cubes.  You’ll want between 1-2 C of shredded zucchini. 



Then, season it with salt and pepper.
 
Add 5-7 oz canned chicken (or tuna/salmon), 1 egg, 1 tsp. lemon juice, and 2 tsp. minced onion. 



Using your clean hands, squish all the ingredients together until moistened. 



Shape the mixture into 3-inch wide patties – you’ll end up with about 5.  If there is extra liquid in this step, squish it out before shaping into patties. 

Place the patties in a large skillet coated with a thin layer of olive oil or vegetable oil (also known as salad oil). 



Cook the burgers over medium heat, about 5 minutes per side, until warmed throughout and lightly browned.
 


If desired, add a slice or two of cheddar cheese (if using chicken), or Swiss cheese (with tuna) and allow the cheese to melt. 



Serve in a whole wheat bun. 



If desired, serve with a slice of tomato, lettuce and mayo {if you use the mayo route – which is especially tasty with tuna, you may wish to omit the cheese}. 



Enjoy!  



Linked to: Tasty Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday (2), Totally Tasty Tuesdays, Delectable Tuesday, Tasty Tues Party, Tutorial Tuesday, These Chicks Cooked, Full Plate Thursday, URS, Recipe Sharing Monday, Mangia Monday, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Your Recipe My Kitchen, Ingredient Spotlight x2

33 comments:

  1. Sounds great. I'm looking forward to trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look AMAzing! They are now on the menu for Meatless Friday. Thanks so much for the inspiration!! I am visiting from Shades of Green blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look really good. I'll add these to my Friday Food finds. Thanks for sharing. Love zuke recipes with zuke coming out of our years right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful recipe. I cannot wait to try this one out. Just perfect! Come over and visit us. We have some wonderful Southern recipes this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great. I'm always open to new ways to use zucchini!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks interesting. I made a zucchini meat loaf this week and zucchini carrot cake (YUM!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look fabulous SnoWhite! Thanks for sharing the recipe, I'm adding it to my menu plan.

    Also, it's Summer Veggie week at This Week's Cravings; I'd love it if you linked this! http://frommytinykitchen.blogspot.com/2011/08/this-weeks-cravings-summer-veggies.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look so interesting! I don't think I would've tried these on my own--but my mouth is watering and the zucchini in my fridge are calling my name! LOL
    ~Carolyn
    Cookin' for my Captain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great! It's not something I would have thought of, but I might give it a try now!
    ~*Jessica Lauren @ Copy-Cat-Crafter

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great way to use up all that zucchini!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh these look great! i'm going to feature them in a post i'm doing all about zucchini if that's ok :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like something I would love! And I think it might be the only way I haven't eaten zucchini!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH, that looks delightful!!! We are out of zucchini right now, any thoughts on subbing eggplant??

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmm...I may have to try these...what is the texure like? we love zucchini and always like finding new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks very yummy! I can't wait to try it!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look outstanding! I have zucchini, so I need to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This burger looks so interesting!Lovely combination of Zucchini,lemon juice and Mayo!I have this event on my blog that has everything to do with Bread - would love if you would come over for a peek:)

    Cheers,
    Wit,wok&wisdom

    ReplyDelete
  18. hi! This looks amazing! I would love for you to come over and link up to my Tasty Tuesday Party...
    http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/
    Hope to see you and your tasty goodness next week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Sno White,
    I am drooling over this burger. With the fresh zucchini in our garden this is a perfect recipe to try. Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
    See you soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  20. So funny, I've never heard of "salad oil." That's a good thing to know if people still pull out granny's hand written recipes. I sure love the internet for new recipes, but I miss deciphering the old falling apart paper ones.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Definitely trying these. The idea that you can use whichever canned meat you have in the pantry is wonderful. I even wonder if I could transfer this idea over to veggi/bean burgers. So often they are so dense and they need added moisture.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What great looking burgers. This is a fantastic way to use up all those extra zucchinis we all seem to find ourselves with this time of year.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much for sharing this at Recipe Sharing Monday. The new party is now up and I'd love for you to link up again :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  25. We're waiting for Daddy to clean up the bed after a middle of the night incident and my three year old saw the picture of the burgers at the top of your blog. "Mama!" he exclaimed, "my mouth has never had that before. Find the recipe." I did (thanks for keeping a well-organized website!) and read it to him. "Let's make that!" he said as soon as I'd read through the recipe. Thanks for a great looking and healthy main dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh. My! Thanks for making me laugh out loud on this one!!! I love the "my mouth has never had that before." Great way of phrasing the need to try new foods. Hope you enjoy these!

      Delete
  26. This looks sooo tasty! Yum!! I am definitely going to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. these look great... have you ever tried rotisserie chicken instead of canned??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't -- but I'm sure that it would work.

      Delete
  28. I'm wondering if I could use ground turkey. These look yummy! I have lots of zucchini to eat up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think that you could! Just be sure to cook thoroughly. :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...