Saturday, January 8, 2011

Pudding Layers



My mom used to make this recipe as an extra special treat.


Cream cheese.  Chocolate and vanilla pudding.  Creamy, light and tasty.

This year, she made a pan for Christmas Eve.


I think we have a new tradition.  It was delicious after a big bowl of Chicken Chili.

Pudding Layers - Mom

1 C all purpose flour
1/2 C butter
8 oz cream cheese
1 C powdered sugar
16 oz whipped cream
1 large box of vanilla pudding
1 large box of chocolate pudding
3 C milk (may need an additional 1/4 C)
Hershey's Dark Chocolate Bar/Chips, grated

Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.

Meanwhile, melt the butter and mix with 1 C flour, until crumbly.  Then, press into the bottom of a 9x13 glass baking dish.  Bake at 350 until lightly browned, about 15-20 minutes.

Cool the crust completely.

While crust cools, mix together the cream cheese and powdered sugar until light and fluffy.  It helps if the cream cheese is softened.  Then, add 8oz of the whipped cream.

Spread the cream cheese mixture over the cooled crust and chill for about 45 minutes to allow this layer to set up.

Mix the milk and puddings (yes, both the vanilla and chocolate) together and spread over the cream cheese layer.

Chill for 1 hour.

Finally, grate the dark chocolate bar, or crush up some dark chocolate chips.

Spread the remaining whipped cream over the top of the pudding layers.  Sprinkle with chocolate chips.

Cover and refrigerate overnight; this allows the dessert to really set up.


There are a few tweaks to this recipe that I'm hoping to try -- using white whole wheat flour for the crust, and using my homemade pudding recipe for the vanilla filling, and this chocolate pudding from Inspired2Cook.

I also hear this recipe is called "Robert Redford Dessert" -- and some people use butterscotch pudding!

Photobucket

This post is linked to:

15 comments:

  1. Yum! This sounds good. I think I'll try it with homemade puddings to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love pudding! I can NOT wait to make this lovely dessert....a gem I can tell! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one of the best desserts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a parent that always brings this in for treats for the teachers, and I have wondered how to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make something similar - with brownies and cool whip.

    http://savingthosedollars.blogspot.com/2010/12/dessert-dilemma-solved-triple-layer.html

    Yours sounds wonderful too! can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great dessert and your pics are great also. Nothing like chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my mom's signature dishes, too. She calls it "better than Robert Redford." Maybe not such a descriptive title, but we all knew what she was talking about when she said that's what was for dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, if anything is better than Robert Redford maybe this could be it! This does look good to a pudding lover like me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow...now that looks wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mom always makes this on special occasions and to bring to parties/dinners too. We call it 4 layer delight.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this dessert. I need some right now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A classic, for good reason. This is so good. My mom used to make it, sometimes with chocolate and sometimes with lemon. It's fantastic either way.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...