Friday, November 20, 2009

Whole Wheat Molasses Crinkles




These are my absolute favorite cookie. My college roommate made them once for me and I was hooked -- I had to have her recipe. Her original recipe is wonderful, but this year, I decided to try making them a bit healthier, by using whole wheat.


No one will ever know these are made with 100% whole wheat flour.  Truly.  They are still soft and chewy and packed full of flavor.

Whole Wheat Molasses Crinkles - Adapted from Kim
{Print Recipe}

Makes 4 dozen cookies

3/4 C butter
3/4 C brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1/4 C molasses, heaping
1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
1 C white whole wheat flour (you can also use more whole wheat)
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger

Cream together shortening, sugar, egg, and molasses until creamy.



Sift together flour, soda, salt and spices. Add to the creamed mixture and mix well.*



Heat oven to 350. Roll dough into balls the size of large walnuts. Roll in sugar.


Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.


Bake about 10 minutes, just until set, but not hard.


Remove from the cookie sheet and cool on a wire wrack.


Store in an airtight container.


And, hide it ;)

*You may wish to chill the dough for about 15 minutes before forming the cookies.  We've done it both ways, and chilled dough is much easier to work with!

This post is linked to:
Grocery Cart Challenge
Friday Feasts
Homemade Holidays
What did you Bake Today?
Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays
Tasty Tuesday Bloghop
Tasty Tuesday Parade of Foods
Delicious Dishes
Ingredient Spotlight

14 comments:

  1. Yum! Those are my favorite cookies. I'm definitely going to try this variation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Those are my favorite cookies. I'm definitely going to try this variation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog! These cookies look wonderful. I think I may have to talk some kids into helping me bake today ;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet these taste wonderful. I need to start be healthier and use whole wheat flour. They look so good!
    vickie@ cooking with vickie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love molasses cookies they always remind me of my grandma. I haven't had one of these little treats in years. THANKS!!! for the recipe.
    geri

    ReplyDelete
  6. My all-time favorite cookie! Gotta make some very soon :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. This seems like the perfect cookie recipe for the holidays. I made a molasses blueberry cake not too long ago and absolutely fell in love with molasses. I love all of the spices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's great to know that these are good with whole wheat. Molasses cookies are one of our favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look really good. I'd like to try making them -- maybe over the holiday weekend next week when I might have more time. I love that they are healthy and I absolutely love molasses so I bet I will love them:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look perfect. I love that you've used whole wheat flour.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you make these pretty big? Like 3 " in diameter?

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look amazing. I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love molasses cookies, too! his looks like a killer recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also LOVE molasses cookies and crinkle cookies - great combination! Thanks for linking at our virtual cookie swap!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...